Friday, February 6, 2015

Quotes and a confession

Exercise should be regarded as tribute to the heart.  ~Gene Tunney


Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.  ~Edward Stanley


If it weren't for the fact that the TV set and the refrigerator are so far apart, some of us wouldn't get any exercise at all.  ~Joey Adams


Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it.  ~Plato


Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.  ~Joseph Pilates


I see exercise taking this perverted detour. The original intention of exercise was to heal and maintain health. Now I see it as having nothing to do with health. I see most exercises based on looking good. They actually make you less healthy. You overdevelop the obvious muscles. You take drugs to enhance that. You ignore the rest, and you become more out of balance. ~Bryan Kest

Source:
http://quotegarden.com/exercise.html

I agree with these quotes.  These quotes are an inspiration to me and should be to everyone.  I confess that exercise has not been something that I have been doing.  I am also plagued by guilt.  One of the things that I am guilty of is the fact that I am filled with guilt over the things of the past.  One of those things that I feel guilty about is letting myself go.  I am over 100 lbs overweight and I felt like over the years that I have let myself go.  I find myself confused and bogged down never knowing when or it it is ever going to end.  I tend to try at least to find the positives about my appearance and pick out what are both positive and negative about me.  I have no other way to say thing, but when I see another person who looks like me I either see the beauty in them or feel sorry for them.  I don't always see that in myself in a society where smaller people, the after pictures, are considered more beauty, alluring, approachable, attractive, sexy.  Fat in our society is the total opposite, even among some larger people.  I realize now the truth is, what is important is how I see myself.

The fact of the matter is, I don't see myself.  I see what others see and that is not fair to myself.  I often compare myself to others.  There is a body shape that I admire and it is not mine.  I don't want to wish anymore, nor do I think that my worth should be based on a size number.  As a believer in Christ, I am supposed to be "in the world, but not of the world".  I have allowed the world to shape me and not God or myself.  How should I see myself?  Do I see myself as God sees me?  The truth is, I really don't know how God sees me as far as my physical self.  I often deceive myself and have wrong beliefs about how people should think and act and how people of differing body types should think and act.  All I know is that I should live godly and be holy and put God first.  I don't know what else to do.

What does this have to do with exercise?  Inspiration.  It is about inspiring and being honest with myself.  Why do I want to exercise?  Why do I want to eat healthier?  Why is it do I want to lose weight?  What are my goals and plans for myself?  I have another confession to make.  I have been kidding myself or lying to myself for years.  I have to be honest with myself.  My biggest fear is that I am a product of a society that seems to hate me because of my appearance instead of my big fear being is that I don't like  myself.  I do find myself comparing my body to those in mass media.  Over time I realize that what motivates me to lose weight is not enough.  What inspires me does?  I weigh a lot and for me it is about me.  It is up to me to lose weight and to keep it off.  No more comparing myself to others, struggling to affirm myself, or having regrets are good enough reasons right there. I have to be the one who sees myself as beautiful or smart or funny.  I have lived for so long "living like the world" that I fail to realize that I have to be truthful about myself.  How do I really feel about how I look?  That is what is most important to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment